ZSOLNAY'S INFLUENCE ON EUROPEAN ARCHITECTURE
The Zsolnay Porcelain Manufacture produced architectural ceramics from the very beginning of its activity, and the second half of the 1870s saw a huge upturn. The first important order of the factory was linked to the building of Várbazár (Castle Bazaar) designed by Miklós Ybl. Several Hungarian landmark buildings, including the Parliament building and the Museum of Applied Arts, demonstrate the exceptional achievements of the Zsolnay factory in the production of architectural ceramics. Zsolnay architectural ceramics were widely used and became dominant on public buildings in Budapest and across other European cities, mostly at the turn of the century.
MUSEUM OF APPLIED ARTS
Ödön Lechner, one of Hungary's most influential architects, designed and built the Museum of Applied Arts in the years between 1893 and 1896. His distinctive Hungarian Szecesszió style, which was related to Art Nouveau, makes this building one of many Budapest monuments.
The distinctive green and yellow tiles on the roof were manufactured by the Zsolnay factory in Pécs. Beautifully formed decorative elements can be found in the entrance lobby and the roof of this magnificent palace-like building.
Vilmos Zsolnay and Imre Steindl, the architect who designed the Parliament building, had a close relationship. Steindl was convinced that pyrogranit elements would enhance the artistic design of the building. It is without a doubt that the architectural landscape of Hungary was significantly influenced by the Zsolnay manufacture given that ornaments manufactured by the factory can be found on landmark building such as the Hungarian Parliament.
Another eye-catching roof above Budapest that is decorated with blue and turquoise Zsolnay tiles belongs to the Hungarian Geological Institute. Designed by Ödön Lechner, the colorful roof is intended to represent the Tethys ocean. the building is a wonderful example of Hungarian Secession style in which pyrogranit elements by Zsolnay play an important role.
Hungarian architect Frigyes Schulek was the man in charge of rebuilding the Matthias Church. As part of these renovations, Zsolnay manufacture in Pécs was commissioned to supply nearly 150,000 roof tiles which are to this day a distinctive splash of color in the Budapest Castle District.